Thursday, September 4, 2008

Settling in...

We are fairly well settled into the new digs. The kids are in school. We've met most of the neighbors. There are only a couple of boxes on the main floor that need to be unpacked.

It is so nice to be near our family. My parents have watched the kids several times over the last couple of months so that the hubby and I could do stuff around the house or do something together. But, I do miss our old life. I think the main difference is that although family wasn't nearby, I had a life. I had friends I could call up and do things with. I was in a neighborhood book club. There were moms of my kids' friends I could call up if in a bind. I know that will happen here eventually but it will take time. One of the best things about our previous home is that a friend I have known for nearly 15 years lived in the same community (less than a mile away). We had never lived in the same town before and we loved it. Practically every Friday night found us at their house or them at our house for dinner. The kids would play and the parents would hang out together. I miss that!

But, we have to focus on life here. There is the wee one ("Boo") arriving in a couple of months and lots to do before that time! Yes, during all of this I have been pregnant and it hasn't been pretty. Also, my oldest seems to be struggling to adjust to a new school. There have been several mornings where he's refused to get on the bus. I completely understand but it is so frustrating. He has special needs/learning disabilities/developmental delays....peg him how you will....and is leaving the "regular" classroom for much of the day to go into a small group setting for most of his learning. He also received occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy while at school. It is a busy day for him. While I hate that he has to be pulled out of the regular classroom I know this is best for his learning. Unfortunately his social skills aren't the best either and this doesn't help that.

Lots going on but I'm going to try to do a better job of "documenting" it.

No comments: